Author Topic: March 2017 Artsy Inkers Challenge - Swiped Distress Background  (Read 2793 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Hi Everyone! Boy February flew by and now it is time for another monthly challenge! I think you are going to have a lot of fun with this challenge. I have showed it to some of my stamping friends and they all loved it. I stumbled upon this very easy technique last month and couldn't wait to share it with you. Here is the link to the technique 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/71142869094734808/

What I did on all my backgrounds was to swipe over the embossed side AND debossed side. Later I can go back and choose which side I like the best for a particular card I want to make. Both sides will produce different looks. If you do not have the small Distress inks, try any other small ones you have. I believe she says that any will work. if all you have are the large distress inks, try them to see what happens!

Play with some backgrounds using this technique and then make a card using one of your backgrounds. Please use at least one stamped image on your card. Also let us know your experiences in doing this technique.

Here is a sample background I made and a card I made with one of my backgrounds --

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3244#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3245#top_display_media

April :smile:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:46:05 PM by stampwilly »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: March 2017 Artsy Inkers Challenge - Swiped Distress Background
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
I love your cards you did! And I watched a YouTube video tutorial on this not long ago. I'm excited to give it a go!
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Looks like a fun technique, hopefully can give it a try tomorrow, I need a card for my hubby's boss.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »
I love your cards April.  I watched the video and this looks like fun!  I don't think I have any of the small distress ink pads, but I do have other small pads so I'll give them a try. 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
Played all morning with this idea.  I tried a bunch of inks dye, chalk, pigment,  and couldn't get the same look as the video.  I took a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in it as wide as a small inkpad and as long as my cardstock.
Put it over my embossed cardstock and ran my ink pad through the hole, moving it over each time.  Thin again with two other colors.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3246#top_display_media

I did have to wipe my frame with paper towel to keep from getting ink on the next inkpad, only had the problem with one color.  I think because it was newer and wetter.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:49:09 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
I watched the video and really like this technique.  April, your samples are very beautiful and I like them better than what is in the video! 

Looking forward to trying this!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
Sheila, your card turned out great! Thanks for trying to do it many ways. You ended up with wonderful results!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
I tried this quite a bit today and had fun. I need to figure out how to use a background now!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
I inked up 4 different backgrounds yesterday and had so much fun with this!

I did try the full size distress inks and it definitely wasn't as easy as the minis. I did both sides and on most of them, I ended up liking the debossed side.

I'm hoping to turn them into cards today.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Very cool technique.  I am looking forward to playing with it.  Your samples are fantastic.  Thanks for hosting.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »
I swiped a few backgrounds yesterday and today.  I'm close to getting one made in to a card.  I tried Versamagic chalk inks (teardrop shape pads), SU dye ink cubes and Distress minis.  They all seem to work fine.  Maybe the Versamagic gave a little heavier coverage, but it might have been me too.  It's hard to stop!

Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
I am so glad you all are having fun with this. I have not tried this with my large Distress ink pads. I think I will give it a go to see the difference. Can't wait to see your cards!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Here is a card I made for this challenge.  I thought this was such a great technique for some of the embossing folders that I otherwise have trouble with.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3256#top_display_media

I did use mostly large distress ink pads, but the blueprint sketch one I have is a mini.  I wasn't sure it made a difference. I just applied the ink with the inkpad tilted up on one side.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
I'm loving the cards made with this technique!  I had fun swiping backgrounds last weekend.  Finally getting around to uploading. 

Heidi, your card background reminds me of Ikat print.

Here are two cards using an image stamp for the challenge.  I also made two more with just sentiments. They are also in the gallery.  I will attach a picture of the first two backgrounds I made.  The darker one was done with SU dye ink cubes, the second with VersaMagic chalk dew drops.

Ears to You linked background
Ears to You floral background

April, thanks for hosting this month.  I've had a lot of fun with this technique!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
Cindi, I enjoyed seeing all your fun cards using your backgrounds. Like you said, this technique is like eating potato chips, you can't stop at just one! LOL! I have a lot of these backgrounds I made too.