Author Topic: WF15 Something Old, Something New  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Something Old, Something New
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »
Heidi, I like your card just the way it is!  The color shine spritzes really give it a festive look, perfect for a birthday card.  I wouldn't change a thing.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
I started this challenge today ... just experimenting with a background for the card on a scrap so I don't ruin what I've done so far!
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
Here's my card.  The new technique is the gesso resist on the clouds, butterfly and grass.  All of the stamps are old stamps.  The cloud stamp was RAKed to me after my first stamping fest - WSW in 2008 over at 2peas.  And the other stamps were from 2 big sets of clear stamps I got at Jo-Ann's around the same time.
Combo Card
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 10:32:48 PM »
This is such an interesting challenge, Daria!

I used this butterfly stamp from this set
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Inkadinkado-Garden-Delight-Clear-Stamps/3275667/product.html
This has been a favorite set of mine and a set I purchased over 4 years ago.

I wanted to use it in a different way and create a loose watercolor look so I did the no line watercolor technique.
I went with 2 different color combos and had fun doing the process. It ended up being more abstract than I wanted but I think this is a technique that needs a lot of practice. I'm happy with the way they turned out and how the technique gave the image a whole new look. Thanks Daria for hosting a great challenge  O0

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1091

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1092
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
Sarah, what CS is matting your project with the window and kitty?  It looks like it has bubbles or something...
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Wow LeighAnn!  That was the butterfly you used for those two cards!!   :o  I was certain it was a solid butterfly image---I have to try this technique!!
~~Melissa :)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
I left comments in the gallery last night, but I forgot to come back here and say WOW! to everyone who has posted.  This is turning out to be a fun challenge.  I love the creative ways you are using those older stamps.  I have some I bought on eBay years ago that are older than I am.  (That's why I like stamps made of rubber.)  I have never used them and can't quite think of what to do with them.  They are small images of cartoon characters.  Here they are.  Any ideas?

Daria
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:18:17 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
Daria sorry to say your link is not working for me.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »
Thank you, Melissa!

Daria, those are some really fun images! The first thing that popped on my mind would be to do a comic book style card, maybe stamp them together in squares and mount them on to black cardstock. Keep the coloring to primary colors? That's an awesome find!
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
Melissa - that's not cardstock matting the card.  I set it on a piece of styrofoam out on my porch when I took the picture. 
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »
Wow Daria, those are some old looking stamps!  Inky Antics has some cute samples with a fence.  The card front is actually cut in half horizontally with the fence stamped on the bottom half and the top half removed.  You could then put the cartoon image walking in front of or behind the fence.  Another place you might find samples is VivaLasVegaStamps.  They probably have similar images and sometimes include samples in their online catalog.

I used a really old image of a girl that says "Dotty's Darlin's" c1994 on it!  I've had it probably close to 20 years.
I tried the "no line distress watercolor" technique as seen on Kristina Werner's blog.  I've also seen the technique done by someone for a new stamp company called Altenew.  I wish my line was fainter, you can still see it a bit even though I stamped with gray and stamped off once or twice ... but it's nowhere near the black I would have used years ago.  I had a fainter image I was coloring ... but I didn't like the way the face turned out so I scrapped it.  Using molding paste through a stencil is not a new technique ... but even though I've had stencils and paste for years, I very rarely use it, so it was newish to me.  I also went for an ombre effect with my watercolor wash which also seems to be a recent trend, or old trend revisited.

be true to you

Thanks for the challenge Daria!  I had fun with it!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions for my old stamps.  Cindi, I was thinking of using that fence with some masking.  I'll check Inky Antics and Viva Las Vegas.  LeighAnn, I love the idea of making a comic book style card with four squares.  I kept thinking I needed to create one big elaborate scene, and that seemed a bit overwhelming.  But the smaller squares would work great and be more manageable.   

Cindi, I fell in love with your card!

Heidi, I changed the link so try again.  Whenever I link directly from My Gallery on scrapbook.com, people have trouble with the link.  I can see it, and now I know that some others can see it, but some cannot.  If I go back and click on my user name in some post, then I come up with a different gallery link, and no one seems to have trouble with that one.  Here the new link.  Good luck.

Daria
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:30:54 PM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 10:54:51 PM »
 Now that I am retired I really don't like to referred to my things as "old". :laughhard:  I like to think of the good experiences and treasured times together.   Of course a high % of my stamps qualify so I opened a drawer and the flower stamp provided some very good memories.  I was happy to combine it with the gesso resist technique. A new technique that I hadn't done previously.  Thanks for a great challenge Daria!  And hope your friend continues to progress.
...Jan

Link to my card

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:10:18 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
Daria, thanks for taking the time to redo the link. I used to actually know what the issue was with that type of problem with links (it addes elipses in the middle sometimes instead of copying the whole link, but I can't remember why!)

My first thought was of a patterned paper pack I have from October Afternoon with similar style drawings and they also did have a comic strip.  So I really second LeighAnn's idea.  I do not recognize the characters.  It also might make a cute coloring book for a little boy or girl.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
I love the cards I have seen here for this challenge. I have not had time to leave comments, but I will soon.

Here is my card. I combined this challenge with the gesso resist. The NEW technique is the gesso resist. Those are the vines in the background. My OLDIE is the stamp. I bought a sheet of rubber on line with many of these Victorian ladies many years ago. I do not think this company exists anymore! :-\ Thanks for a fun challenge!

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1108#top_display_media