Author Topic: Winner Announced*** WF16:Quick and Easy  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Winner Announced*** WF16:Quick and Easy
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »
This is a 1-day warm-up activity.  It will be open at-Noon Friday 1/22/16 and will close at Noon Saturday 1/23/16 .
Playing in this warm-up activity will take approx ½ hour including the activity itself, posting photos and posting on this discussion thread. 

Prep BEFORE starting warm-up activity:  In this activity you will have choices to use some of the following household items that are not always used in cardmaking. It might be wise to check your supplies to know what you have on hand so you will be ready to begin. Items that you may choose to use include: 1 toothbrush for art work, a couple cotton balls and dense sponge like the cosmetic triangles. 

Items you will need for this activity but you might not have on hand: 2 colors of Acrylic Paint (distress paint suggested) and Sandpaper. It would be great if all players have some way to sand a paper surface.  If you don’t have sandpaper… how about emery boards or cosmetic sanding block?

See you soon!...Jan

It’s time to start Warming Up for Winterfest!  WF16 Quick and Easy

Yes, we are only a few hours until the formal beginning of Winterfest!  So this activity is designed to challenge you with some new background techniques and to be inspired to explore the techniques in any way you wish.  The only rule is to have fun!  Please enjoy following your own thoughts and wonder as you think "what it would look like if…?"

Below I am providing 3 links to tutorials created by Tammy Tutterow.  You are welcome to play with 1 background and fully explore it and some of your own thoughts or move on and play with the other tutorials.  The suggested supplies below are provided to help you decide where you want to start. 

1.   Weathered Look--Toothbrush Painting
Tutorial:  http://tammytutterow.com/2015/06/toothbrush-painting/
Suggested supplies: Toothbrush, Distress acrylic paint and ink, Dry cloth, Sandpaper

2.   Mottled look –cotton balls
Tutorial:  http://tammytutterow.com/2015/07/cotton-balls/
Suggested supplies: Large tags. cotton balls and cosmetic sponge.  Distress acrylic paint-2 colors-1 for background, 1 lighter for foreground. Distress ink-1 color for edges and-blending tool heat tool, sandpaper, and rag.

3.   Splotchy look-rubbing alcohol
Tutorial: http://tammytutterow.com/2015/08/rubbing-alcohol/
Suggested supplies: Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, distress pray/dylusions spray/ distress reinker-mister, distress acrylic ink, water, rag sand paper.
Do remember that layered backgrounds like alcohol inks in that they might not look smashing until stamping is added on top of the background.

You have a maximum of 20 minutes to play with these tutorials for this warm-up activity…and any variations you choose.  Your time will begin when you post here on this thread that you are beginning.  Also please post when you are finished.  Share photos of your work in the gallery with the key word: WF16 Quick and Easy. Please describe what you did in your gallery description.  And respond to the few questions below for your discussion here.
Discussion thread questions: Please share what you did and how did it worked for you.  Did you do anything different from the challenge instructions?  What backgrounds would you consider using for your card making? Other thoughts?

Your kind comments will be appreciated on the other player’s gallery posts and especially one on Tammy Tutterow’s tutorials.

There will be a RAK provided to 1 player whose name is selected in a random drawing. 

If you want to play some more after you complete this warm-up you are welcome to and place your work in the our gallery folder: Key Word:WF16-Quick and Easy

Thanks for playing!…Jan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:42:21 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up Activity-Good to Know preliminary details
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Thanks for the info on what we will need. I will have DH find me some sandpaper. I don't dare look through his workshop anymore! Lol.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
Sounds interesting! I have all the supplies! YAY!

April

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »
That all seems to be things that already live in the craftroom........LOL!  Thank you for hosting this Far North.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
This should be interesting.  And I just have to point out that the only item listed that I don't already have in my craft supplies is the toothbrush.   ;D
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
LOL Sarah,  I am just surprised you haven't dedicated a toothbrush to crafting before now ;D  Yes, I am hoping to have lots of fun!
See you tomorrow!....Jan

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:01:13 AM »
This sounds very intriguing, Jan!
I think I have everything but the cosmetic sponges.
LeighAnn

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
I am in and will round up supplies this afternoon - so I will be ready.  I have everything.  I have a new toothbrush to use, but have never used one in crafting. 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
I'm running off to gather my supplies!  Sounds like fun!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: NOW Posted Warm-up Activity-WF16:Quick and Easy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:09 PM »
Yes, my warm-up activity is now posted!...see details in post #!  Thanks for your patience!
...Jan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:20:23 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »
Ok, it's a go!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
I'm done, well, sort of ... about to upload my photo.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
Here is my background.

I tried the weathered look with toothbrush painting. 

Note :  I didn't have my craft mat, blending tool and a background ready to roll.  I'd recommend that!

I started to look for a tag, but gave up because I didn't want to waste more time and grabbed a piece of ivory cardstock instead.  I trimmed it to just smaller than a card front.  I used the Peeled Paint distress paint I had gathered earlier.  I didn't have ink out, so I found tumbled glass distress ink and hunted for my ink blender!  Haha!  I put the ink down, found the blender, then had to go back and find the ink again!  Ugh! 

I followed the tutorial instructions.  I ran out of time just before I was about to ink the edges with a darker color. 
One issue I had was sanding the edges of my paper ... I was using a sanding block, holding the paper in the air, but that was difficult without bending the paper.  I laid the paper on my craft mat, but I was afraid sanding on the craft mat might ruin the mat?  How did you accomplish this?  You can see a little darker ink, especially near the bottom of the background where the ink did sink in to the sanded paper.
Also, because I was in a hurry, inking with a blending tool felt like it was taking FOREVER!  I finally gave up and went direct to paper with the distress ink pad, then buffed with a rag.

I didn't know if I was allowed to read the tutorials first, so I started the timer and then opened the first tutorial.

I like the weathered look of this technique.  I think I will try again on a tag, or bristol paper.  I would use less pressure on my toothbrush maybe, and think about using spray ink (I have some Dylusions).

Thanks for the challenge Jan!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
The first picture I am attaching is the one linked above, except I misted it with water (and the first mister I grabbed happened to have iridescent medium added to it, so it's distressed, but it shimmers  :smile:).  I wanted to lighten the color and distress it a little further.  I inked the edges with Walnut distress ink.

The next picture is a sample where i painted with a toothbrush, then misted with Dylusions spray ink and wiped dry.  The edges are also distressed with Walnut ink.

I think the darker (second, spray ink sample) looks a little like Ikat fabric.  Maybe it's the darker color?  The pattern the toothbrush painting took?  Totally unintentional, but I like it!  And I don't know why, but the color is quite a bit darker in person.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:21:14 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »
I just finished reading up on the details! How fun, thanks for hosting Jan!
Cindi, yours looked great! Love those colors together :-)
 I've got one napping and one working on some puzzles so I'm gonna have this a go. I will report back in a few!
LeighAnn