Author Topic: Discussion starter: coloring products  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Discussion starter: coloring products
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:23:27 AM »
I am busy organizing my coloring products and have several questions running thru my mind about all the choices. I imagine there must be lots of different ways to do the following so please share what you do:

How do you make choices about which coloring product/s to use to make a card?

Do you make other choices first before deciding the coloring products?

Do you use more than 1 type of coloring products on a card?

If you had to limit the number of your coloring products what would be your top 3 keepers. 

What coloring products do you have that would be easy to remove from your collection move-on*...or perhaps already have?

Thanks for sharing!...Jan

* edited to clarify
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:41:43 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Discussion starter: coloring products
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
Thanks for asking a fun Q!

When I'm coloring stamped images I go all sorts of ways. Sometimes I have colors in mind, but I tend more towards letting my first color helping me move to the next & so on.
I also like to layer color on top of 'finished' coloring just to see what it does.

My 3 go tos are crayons, water-based markers & permanent markers. All 3 are easy to find & travel well.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
Fun question!  Before I answer, I am unsure what you mean by "easy to move-on"?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
Just guessing Heidi, but I think Jan is asking what coloring resources can more easily move with us--whether it's on a trip or a relocation more long term (like mine).
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
Thanks Heidi for the question!  I didn't realize until you asked that "move-on" is a local term--LOL-always something new to learn!

So when I asked in the last question "what products do you have that would be easy to move-on...or perhaps already have?"  I meant products you haven't liked well enough or use often enough that you would consider moving them out of your collection by giving them to someone else or throwing away or other means of disposing of them. Or perhaps you have already purged something from your collection and like to mention. 

Also perhaps someone might like to share if they have created a trial purge of a product by boxing items for a period of time. The product is available for use by the crafter as desired but if the products are not used in a specified time period they will disposed of when the time has passed.  If anyone has use this type of method please comment on how successful it was. (I believe LeighAnn mentioned something like this in the past).

Daniel, your thoughts for a question about what is your most portable color products is also a good one and perhaps responders to this thread will also share their thoughts on that.

Thanks again!...Jan
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:19:28 PM by Far North »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »
I start with why I am doing this, then who is it for, then what  holiday etc.
Then I look in my stamp book and find an  stamp I want to use.
Then how will I do the background, then what colors then what product do I have those colors in.
Like the solid stamps go great on bright backgrounds, so color bursts or watercolor or ink smooching.

The stuff I am currently using is the easiest to reach.  Items I am not using go in cupboards and get forgotten.
Items I almost never use are chalk inks, next are rainbow inks.  I don't even know if they are still good.
Now saying that I may need to find a project to use them.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
How do you make choices about which coloring product/s to use to make a card?     I see what colors I have in the different products that match the papers i am using. It also depends on the look I want.

Do you make other choices first before deciding the coloring products?     I usually pick the papers first and then color to match them. I also might have a couple of colors in mind and then pick papers and coloring products.

Do you use more than 1 type of coloring products on a card?   Yes, sometimes I don't have the right color in one product so I will find it in another product and use the color in that.

If you had to limit the number of your coloring products what would be your top 3 keepers.    Spectrum Noir markers, colored pencils and Gamsol and Distress inks with water pen.

I could get rid of crayons, permanent markers, gel pens and chalks.

April :smile:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:40:48 PM by stampwilly »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
How do you make choices about which coloring product/s to use to make a card? Do you make other choices first before deciding the coloring products?
I approach planning for a new card with some basic thoughts-generally I like to create cards that look different from other cards I have recently made. This often includes changing the type of coloring products I choose to use.  Additionally, I usually like to add some texture and so layers.

Most often I am playing in a challenge-so my main thoughts go towards making something pleasant for my recipient as well as meeting the challenge requirements. With all the above in my mind I jump in with whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. I think of it as loosely structured play where I can break my rules when it feels appropriate.

Do you use more than 1 type of coloring products on a card? Almost always.  I often use pencils and pencils to add highlights. 

If you had to limit the number of your coloring products what would be your top 3 keepers.  Distress inks, pens/markers, watercolor paints.

What coloring products do you have that would be easy to remove from your collection...or perhaps you already have?  My rainbow inks separated some time ago and I recently threw them out. Also on my list to say good-bye to: set of pan chalks, glitter, fluorescent markers and bottles of Stickles that are less than 5% full which will not come out without a paint brush.

From Daniel-favorite portable coloring products--watercolor pencils.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:40:19 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »
I am busy organizing my coloring products and have several questions running thru my mind about all the choices. I imagine there must be lots of different ways to do the following so please share what you do:

How do you make choices about which coloring product/s to use to make a card?

Usually I sortof decide I want to use a coloring product before I start making a card, but sometimes, as I am choosing a stamp, I decide that a certain product would work well for that.  I often make choices about cardmaking with the decision to be using products I haven't used lately, which includes both stamps and coloring products.

Do you make other choices first before deciding the coloring products?

Sometimes, like recently I have been stamping on textured cardstock and coloring with chalks, then fussy cutting.  So technique matters a lot with coloring, especially if you are going to fussy cut, you don't have to be careful to color in the lines.

Do you use more than 1 type of coloring products on a card?

Not usually planned, but sometimes if I don't have a good color for something in the first medium.

If you had to limit the number of your coloring products what would be your top 3 keepers. 

Always very hard to choose, I would probably do the watercolor pencils, water based markers and maybe chalks

What coloring products do you have that would be easy to remove from your collection move-on*...or perhaps already have?

I could probably get rid of the alcohol based markers, since I only have a few colors anyhow, they are hard to use and take up a lot of space.  I don't use my colored pencils often because they are kids ones, and I can't think of a third.

Thanks for sharing!...Jan

* edited to clarify

~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
Thanks all for responding!  It is always fun when I learn new ways of doing things when I read such polls.  Like I was surprised when I read this comment from Heidi:  "technique matters a lot with coloring, especially if you are going to fussy cut, you don't have to be careful to color in the lines."  My first thought was really?...when I did this the colors showed on the black inked image...but then I recalled that was long ago before I generally stampeded with archival ink.  Then my lightbulb moment kicked in since I know that black archival generally appears on top of other colors of ink.  Thanks Heidi for the great tip!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »
Jan, I am glad that helped you think of new ways to color.  I do agree that sometimes the coloring looks like it is on top of the stamped image.  I sometimes just deal with it, but also feel that when I stamp with brown or another color like green, it shows up less anyhow. 

I have seen some people stamp, color in the project, and then restamp with their MISTI tool.

I will see if I see a difference with archival ink rather than other blacks.  I did not know this to be true before!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
now that I have all the spectrum noir alcohol markers I find myself using them more than anything, I keep trying colored pencils but I just don't like the results I get, I have enjoyed using my distress inks to do a watercolor technique with them, so I have just purchased 24 colors of spectrum aqua markers and am enjoying learning to use them.  So that would be my top 3.
What determines what I color with is the look I am going for with what image I have selected to use.
I don't use chalks to color with as much as I thought I would so that is something I could probably give away, but I won't :)
I have used markers and pencils together.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
Connie, I too find the layering the coloring with pencils frustrating. I know others enjoy their results when using gamsol...but that is just not for me. I am happy with watercolor pencils so I am sticking with that.  Glad you have products you do like!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »
Today I happened upon a youtube video hosted by Lindsay, thefrugalcrafter.  Ask the Artists Live!.

Lisa Clough said she doesn't even start blending colored pencils with odorless mineral spirits until she has many, many layers of pencil down.  I think she said something like 10 or 12 layers!  I need to go check out her site.

The Mind of Watercolor host, Steve Mitchell, is also on the panel.

Beware, they had me wanting some fancy watercolor brushes.  Luckily my friend who owns the local art supply led me to some reasonable brushes for my card making purposes.   
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
Today I happened upon a youtube video hosted by Lindsay, thefrugalcrafter.  Ask the Artists Live!.

Lisa Clough said she doesn't even start blending colored pencils with odorless mineral spirits until she has many, many layers of pencil down.  I think she said something like 10 or 12 layers!  I need to go check out her site.

The Mind of Watercolor host, Steve Mitchell, is also on the panel.

Beware, they had me wanting some fancy watercolor brushes.  Luckily my friend who owns the local art supply led me to some reasonable brushes for my card making purposes.   

Thanks for the link, I will need to check it out.

For pencil coloring, I have seen a lot of good tutorials from Julia Alterman. I will see if I can find a link.
~~Heidi~~