Author Topic: Would you be as creative if you didn't share your work?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Would you be as creative if you didn't share your work?
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
Do you think that you would be as creative with your stamping if you stopped sharing your work online?

Do you think you would be less creative if you stopped looking on the Internet for ideas?

Just wondering...
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Would you be as creative if you didn't share your work?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »
I will say yes to both. I created a lot when I knew nothing about the internet and did not share. I just loved seeing what I could do with my supplies and I tried to outdo myself I guess. LOL!

I think I am more creative with looking online because I see things I have never thought of and it inspires me and I have learned so much more! The internet is a huge resource. I remember looking at one site in particular when I first started. They were big into techniques and I learned so much! I know some might say no to this question because they may think that they just copy and don't really create. But the things I see give me inspiration to do what I want with it.

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
No I wouldn't.  It is like being held accountable.
I don't go looking at others cards, but I do copy stuff from utube on how to do something.
I still can't do basic layering or measuring.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
Generally I strive to come up with creative approaches for my cards. Since my youngest creative years I recall wanting to express myself by developing my own unique creative style.  I learn about others work so I can make something different.

Do you think that you would be as creative with your stamping if you stopped sharing your work online?   Yes.  I am not sure that my creativity comes from sharing my work and seeing others work in a gallery (if that is what you mean Heidi). I do think I am inspired to create when I hear about others process of creating.  I think the challenges here inspire my creativity more than most.

Do you think you would be less creative if you stopped looking on the Internet for ideas? My greatest inspiration for creating comes from tossing around possibilities for using products and materials with other stampers.   It is what fires me up to want to make something “right now”.

I am also inspired by our discussions here....Heidi, thanks for another thought provoking discussion!
...Jan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:51:27 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »
What interesting answers!  The thoughts just came to mind yesterday and I thought I would throw it out there!

I am not really sure how to answer because the resources on the Internet for crafting have been available to one extent or another for all the time I have been paper crafting.  There certainly is more available now.  All of my "how-to" for basic stamping, products and techniques was online.

I think I could say that yes, I would be as creative if I stopped sharing online.
However, I think that would only be true if I continued to get inspiration online, from both galleries but mostly challenges.  I say that because I have never really known anyone "in real life" who stamps. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
In my early years (pre-internet) I hobbled resources together and was very creative.  I often  and borrowed stamping themed books from the library. One wonderful lady in town taught a class in her garage monthly with Penny Black stamps.  She was very creative and taught for over 2 years.  I recall getting connecting to the internet very early on and soon thereafter to I joined the PaperCrafts online discussion group and later PC gallery privileges at 2Peas when they became available.  In those beginning days one lady sent me a Private Message (oh, how we explored all the new internet  tools available).  She asked:"how does one stamp in multi-colors?"...and I had no experience or knowledge about any inks beyond black.  Thankfully, our resource base has multiplied immensely since then. No desire to return to the days of not being connected! 

Oh yes April, I recall those earlier days with several sites totally focused on techniques. ...that was before many businesses had websites nor professional designers and design teams.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
Do you think that you would be as creative with your stamping if you stopped sharing your work online?

Hmmm, I think I would.  I don't think I would make inferior cards if I wasn't photographing and posting.  I'm sure glad others share, so I share too. 

Do you think you would be less creative if you stopped looking on the Internet for ideas?

That question is harder for me!  In lots of ways I would be more creative if I stopped looking and started making!  But then again, I do get lots of inspiration online, especially from our challenges here.

I'm pretty sure I was more creative when I first started stamping and made do with less.  (That right there should be incentive to do some serious paring down ... but it's so hard!!)
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
I think I would be just as creative if I wasn't sharing on line because I am making something for someone and I want it to be something they will like and it makes it more fun for me to try something new.

Yes I would be less creative I think because a lot of the tutorials I find I think to myself I never would have thought to try that technique on my own.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »
More interesting points!

Cindi, I think your point about stopping looking and starting creating is a good one.

Jan, thanks for sharing how you got your ideas pre-Internet. I think there were more craft shows on TV (local PBS shows, I remember) in addition to magazines too. 

Connie, yes, it would be a creative challenge to just create for so many people, like you do! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
Like so many of you, I have been creating my whole life. And sharing my work was an early part of my desire to create. I love applause--one reason I majored in theatre in college.... :laugh:

How I share has certainly changed over the years--now mostly online--but I do believe I wouldn't be 'as' creative if sharing were not part of the process.

And seeing what others create has always been included in the creativity itself. I remember seeing a picture of a Faberge egg & wanting to make one just because I thought I could. While mine had no precious stones or metals & started with a L'egg's 'egg', I was proud of it. And when others saw it, their praise was "icing on the cake".

Thanx for sharing a creative question, Heidi! O0
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 11:11:26 PM »
Glad to "see" you here, Daniel. I hope things are going well with you.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 05:15:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Daniel. It is good to see you chiming in!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
I'm late to the discussion but I really enjoyed reading everyone's input.

It's hard to say but I think I would still be creating if I didn't share. I do find it more motiviating to create when there are challenges and swaps. Plus they're good to get your feet wet when your Mojo disappears.

The internet is such a good thing*for me anyways!. I've learned all of my paper crafting skills from 2P's, our forum here plus I love youtube for visual tutorials. I always find inspiration seeing what other's create.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
Never too late to join the conversation. It is so fun to see the different answers. 

So true about getting started again after a break with swaps and challenges!
~~Heidi~~