Author Topic: Design Challenge - Asymmetrical Balance - Through end of July 2016  (Read 1534 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
This is the last design challenge and is a topic that pretty much builds on all the other design principles. We did symmetry a couple months ago to get us started, because it provides for perfect balance.

However, most of our cards are not symmetrical.  That is when you need to consider the "weight" of each element.  A large item has a lot of weight.  But also a small but bright and shiny element can have a lot of weight. 

Please read this Older article from OWH and I will add more resources as I find them.

Then make a card and share it here.  You can play as often as you like and combo. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:31:49 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Design Challenge - Asymmetrical Balance - Through end of July 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »
I think a good way to learn about this is to take a card that is not balanced, and then move the same elements around to improve the balance.  I will try to work on something like that, but if anyone else has other resources, please share.

Remember, this isn't about perfection!  You can push those sequins around the card all day long, but at some point, you need to glue them down.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »
You can push those sequins around the card all day long

How did you know?!  Haha! 

I will definitely read the articles!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
Here is my entry. I just had to play with my new Altenew butterfly stamps! :smile:

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2783#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
Thanks for starting us off with a card, Stampwily!  It is lovely. In addition to what I wrote in the gallery, I also like how your eye travels all over the card, which is one of the things that was mentioned in the article.

Thanks for playing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
This card is for my asymmetrical design challenge. I used a sketch for this, which you would think if you just followed it, it would be a balanced design, but I kindof feel like a lot of the CAS sketches are not really balanced and need embellishment of something else to fill part of the empty space.  Here is a link to the sketch.

In this case, I moved the sentiment from the lower right to the upper right. Without moving it, the card looks too bottom heavy and too empty up top.

The second place where I needed to think about balance was the enamel dots. At first, I was just going to use all orange. When I put them into place, they looked too bright. I think orange is one of the colors where it has more weight and my eye was mostly drawn to those orange dots, so what I did was replace a few of them with other colors, and then it looked a lot more balanced.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:58:00 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~