Author Topic: Gelli Plate Backgrounds  (Read 9110 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Gelli Plate Backgrounds
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
I used my 6 x 6 gelli plate the other night and made some backgrounds.  One of them I actually made a card with and the others are in my pile of stuff to use.  It was pretty fun.  I just put drops of acrylic paint down on the jelly plate and used a hard brayer to smooth it out, I didn't smooth too much because I wanted the layer look.  I used some plastic stencils and some soft plastic tools to make patterns and then put the paper down on top and brushed over it with my hands until the paint transfered. 

Here is the result!

You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Gelli Plate Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
The black tag I copied from Tim Holtz I used the gelli plate and put down the black acrylic paint and then stamped on the gelli plate to take away the color.  If you look close you can see that oak is backwards because of the way I stamped it and then pulled a print from the gelli plate....LOL

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I have a scrapbook page started that all the parts except for the big gear background and the Remember card are done with a gelli plate.  There are 3 different gelli plate background pages that I used in the elements so far.  The big 8 x 10 part is a complete page of gelli print.  The leaf and the circle directly behind it are from another page.  The two orange circles are from the same page as the gifts on the nontraditional wedding card I posted today in the gallery.

NonTraditional Wedding Card.

Anyone else doing gelli plate printing?

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »
These are great Sadie!!

No I haven't done gelli plate printing---I actually do not know what gelli plates are…  :-\   

I looked on the internet and found some recipes?

Thus I am assuming you make them??  and then can you use stamp ink or need heavier paint instead??

I really like your results!!!   O0
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
Interesting! I, too, am wondering what a Gelli Plate is.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
A gelli plate is the meduim you do plate printing on.  It is a plate made of jel material that paint does not absorb into.  

It's this

You roll out paint with a brayer!

Here is a really neat lady doing jelly printing.  She is a hoot and does really good work.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:10:10 PM by CarefreeSadie »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:08:37 PM »
So cool that you can post a video!! 

Thanks Sadie!  That is really neat!

Now at the beginning she puts the paint ON a gelli plate?  (I know later in the video she says take the paper off the gelli plate).  Her gelli plate looks like a large acrylic stamp block that you put clings and acrylic stamps onto……did she make that base she put the paints onto?

It looks like I could do this using my large Martha Stewart stamp block (it's 5x7 roughly)---which would be great to have another use for it b/c I really do not use that stamp block b/c it never stamps evenly.  >:(  In the video you posted, she puts the paper onto the base and presses -- so the unlevelness wouldn't matter in my acrylic block. 

I like how the bubble wrap made patterns.  Her results were really cool!

This gives me some ideas and another thing to add to my list of things to try!   :laugh:

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »
The gelli plate is what she puts on that acrylic plate.  It is a giggly, bouncy sort of jel stuff.  It has some give to it.  I have heard of people using an acrylic block but I don't think you would get the same results.  The lady in the video used to just put her gelli plate on a piece of card stock and then decided that might not be a good idea so her partner made the acrylic block to put it on.  There are all sorts of videos on youtube that show what a gelli plate is and how you use it. 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
The Clarity Stamp Channel on youtube has some really neat stuff not just gelli plates.

Clarity Stamp Channel

The video where she explains the acrylic plate under the gelli plate.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:09:29 PM by CarefreeSadie »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
Thank you Sadie for the video!  That makes more sense now that I see her moving the gelli plate around.  Like a square gummy worm!

Her plate reminds me of those large sticky squares I put on my acrylic blocks so that I can mount my uncounted rubber stamps to the acrylic block. They are sticky and thin. Is the gelli plate sticky?

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
A gelli plate is sort of like an acrylic stamp but thicker and no image on it to stamp.  It holds the paint like an acrylic stamp does and releases it the same way onto the paper.  It will stick to things like an acrylic stamp sticks to things but has no glue or other sticky product on it.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
A gelli plate is sort of like an acrylic stamp but thicker and no image on it to stamp.  It holds the paint like an acrylic stamp does and releases it the same way onto the paper.  It will stick to things like an acrylic stamp sticks to things but has no glue or other sticky product on it.

Thanks Sadie (& Melissa). The gelli plates sound like my (clear) acrylic hot glue pads. I have several of them somewhere. Might just see if I can find one & play.  Gelli plates also remind me of gelatin prints. You make the plate like 'finger jello' from packaged gelatine. 'Course they don't last like the mfg'd plates, but Jello is cheap. ;)
Daniel

Offline liannallama

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
I just got my first gelli plate but I haven't used it yet.  I'm taking an "Amelie" crafting class where all the projects are on the theme of the movie so I got it to try.  She does really cute things by stenciling a pattern onto the gelli then letting it dry then putting another color and then printing (maybe drying again inbetween).  Looks really neat.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
Please post your projects from the class!  It will be neat to see what you do and see the projects from the class.....

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
What size Gelli Plate would your recommend for a card maker?  A 5x7?

Sadie thank for your link to Clarity Stamp video...Barbara is a fun and talented presenter.
...Jan