Author Topic: Gelli Plate Backgrounds  (Read 9112 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Gelli Plate Backgrounds
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
I almost bought one of these last week Sadie…but the only acrylic paints I own are in a paint-by-number kit so I held off for now.  But I want to get one, especially as I get more familiar with acrylic paint.  For some reason, I thought acrylic paint was hard to clean up after….but then I thought of the paint-by-numbers kit and how that was acrylic paint and wasn't hard to clean up….so now I am getting more confident! 

And in addition to Jan's question, Sadie, what brand acrylic paint do you use with your gelli plate--does it come in tubes or small bottles? 
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
What size Gelli Plate would your recommend for a card maker?  A 5x7?

Sadie thank for your link to Clarity Stamp video...Barbara is a fun and talented presenter.
...Jan

Probably.  I have an 8 x 10 which is a little too big for card making and I have a 6 x 6 which is too small for a tag.  So no matter what size you get you will wish you had a different size.  LOL.  The 6 x 6 works really well for cards but like I said not tags.  The 8 x 10 works for tags and scrapbooking really well.  So it's like anything else its a crap shoot whether the size you get will work for everything you want to use it for....
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
I almost bought one of these last week Sadie…but the only acrylic paints I own are in a paint-by-number kit so I held off for now.  But I want to get one, especially as I get more familiar with acrylic paint.  For some reason, I thought acrylic paint was hard to clean up after….but then I thought of the paint-by-numbers kit and how that was acrylic paint and wasn't hard to clean up….so now I am getting more confident! 

And in addition to Jan's question, Sadie, what brand acrylic paint do you use with your gelli plate--does it come in tubes or small bottles?

Acrylic paint is water based paint.  I got a box of 48 Liquitex basics at hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon.  They are 22mL size whatever that means, but I figured that would give me lots of colors and a starting point. It works really well on the gelli plates.  Some people use the heavy body which I think dries slower but it is more expensive.  The Clarity stamp lady used distress inks in one of her videos on a gelli plate, and for her it turned out wonderfully.  The Liquitex basics are in tubes.  I have only ever seen people used tubes of acrylic with their gelli plates. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Thanks Sadie for the recommendation.  Next time I'm in HL I will look for those paints.

I just saw "heavy body acrylics" in the scrapbooking aisle at HL last week and wondered what they were.  I figured they were just thicker paint. 

I never knew acrylic paint is water-based….makes sense though b/c there's not a smell like when using alcohol-based products. 

I had wanted to use my distressed inks on the plate…but when I read a book at an art store, it was saying to use acrylic paint b/c other inks will stain but not effect the plate any.  I wondered if the staining really mattered anyways since it doesn't look like you need to see through the plate for any reason.  I am going to look at the distress ink video Clarity stamp lady did to see her use them.  Thanks for letting me know distressed inks can be used with the plate.   :smile:
~~Melissa :)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
Sadie, this is so timely.  I'm thinking of putting a Gelli Plate on my Christmas list this year.  (I learned long ago that my son's stress level went way down and he enjoyed the season if I  just gave him a list of ideas.  lol.)

Jan, I was also wondering about a size.  Godelieve bought the extra large one (12 x 14 inch plate) and then cut it apart:  Stamping Mathilda's blog   

I like the idea of working with the 8 x 10-inch one so I could cut the print apart to be used on several cards.  On the other hand, it might be easier and more fun to just make them for one card at a time.  I loved that gorgeous torn paper card that Barbara Gray made in her video.  What does everyone else think?

BTW, Barbara Gray has a ton of videos about how to use the Gelli Plate.  Sadie, thank you for posting the link to her tutorials.  I wonder if we can buy that acrylic block she uses beneath her plate.

Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
I have a 5x7 plate on my Christmas wish list...I think that is a good starting size for me since right now I don't have plans to make larger items.  Folks keep writing on their blogs about how addictive it is to make monoprints.  But they say the same about carving their own stamps which has been on my list to start for a few months.  I think Godelieve's idea is great if one works on a lot of different sized projects. 

Yes the Clarity videos are very helpful...thanks again Sadie!...only wish Barbara wasn't taking a break from making videos this month.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
[quote...only wish Barbara wasn't taking a break from making videos this month.][/quote]

Jan, she has ten videos about using Gelli Plates.  Have you watched all of them?

I was reading a review of a book on using Gelli Plates on amazon.com, and one reviewer recommended a couple of other You Tube demonstrators--Carol Dube and Patti Parrish.  She also recommended the Gelli Plate section of Pinterest.

Also Gelli Plate has a Facebook Page and Blog.  I don't belong to Facebook, but it is still fun to see the pictures and get ideas.  I found this on the blog:  Printing with Small Gelli Plates.

That should keep you busy until Barbara Gray returns with more videos.  lol.

Daria

ETA:  I just checked out Pinterest and found Barbara Gray's blog.  Here's her entry for the first video Sadie linked:  Torn Gelli Plate
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:19:00 PM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
Thanks Daria for the additional information!  I think I have watch all of Barbara's videos.  I also like Carolyn Dube...and am a subscriber.  She just started making stencils and is selling through stencil girl.  She shares a broad range of Mixed Media.  Patti Parish is a new name to me...have to check out her site.  Thanks for the video on small plates. 
Thanks so much!...Jan
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:09:56 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
Something that I have found for me is that the larger gelli plate is hard to make a smaller print on.  I have tried to make a smaller print on the larger one I have and as far as spreading the paint you just can't keep it on a smaller area, you need the entire area to spread the paint.  So if you get the larger plate keep in mind you will either need to make larger prints or you will be wasting the paint that goes outside the area you want covered.  You can also take another print from that area for something else but if you don't want another print with those colors then you waste the paint.  I am not sure if I explained that so it is easily understood or not.

That acrylic block that Barbara Grey used is sold at Clarity stamp only as far as I can tell.  Clarity stamps is a British company.  I am not sure if they ship to the US or not.  I did a search after I saw that block and couldn't find it listed anywhere else for sale.  I have never purchased from a company out of the US so I don't know how that works.

Hopefully we will all get to see the projects you make from your new Christmas gelli plates......only craft people would find this so fun, LOL!