Author Topic: AIR15 Paint It Challenge - Winner Announced.  (Read 7688 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
AIR15 Paint It Challenge - Winner Announced.
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
This is a background technique challenge that is a clear embossed resist on a dark paper with paint! Please take a look at the photo tutorial linked here.  Follow the tutorial to make a background and then do make it into a project - a card, ATC, tag, scrapbook page, whatever.

You do need clear embossing powder for this technique.

Note:  you may just skip the first step where they took a light cardstock and painted it a dark color, and just use a dark color card (black, navy, dark brown, etc) to save time.  That is what I did for my sample and it worked great. 

In the tutorial, they use acrylic paint, and I used Distress paint (it was handy) and it worked great too. I bet most any acrylic paint will work fine.

Please upload your entry in the gallery here at Artsy Inkers and label it with "AIR15 Paint It!"  If you want to share an additional photo of the background before you use in in a project you may, but it is not required. 

So that we can all find your entry, please comment here that you posted in the gallery and link if you know how.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  A sample will be forthcoming.

I was surprised how quickly my background came together, but there will be some drying time involved before you can use it on a project, so keep that in mind if you are nearing the end of the week and are trying to get projects finished and uploaded.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:14:12 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: AIR15 Paint It Challenge - (5/30-6/7)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks! I love this technique and will be doing this challenge!

Stampwilly ( April )

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Woo Hoo.  I love learning new techniques during a party.

And you know I have to ask, can we combo?
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »
Woo Hoo.  I love learning new techniques during a party.

And you know I have to ask, can we combo?

Yes, you may combo with any other challenge where that host also allows combos.  Thank you for asking.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Here was my first attempt just using black cardstock for my base, my yellow paint must have soaked into the paper and turned it green, I like the end results but just wasn't what I thought it should have been: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1597&message_id=36a44fafdcca963202f43ea4e834120b&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Here was my second attempt with using black paint as my base instead of just cardstock;
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1598&message_id=f8a474c3c61e741b5f350797d31bd2c7&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Fun technique

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »
Does not work on shiny cardstock.  I was being lazy, and it was on my workstation.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
Put photo ino gallery
And the shiny paper attempt, I suppose it could be used for something if you layered enough on top.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Here are links to Yankee's entries, if you have trouble finding them:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1600&message_id=e22873757593098fe75b906400a1be39&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1599#top_display_media

I have left praise in the gallery for Connie and Yankee.  I really am so happy that you both chose to share your experimentation with this technique.  In addition to glossy versus regular matte cardstock, I would be willing to bet that there would be slight differences with color and brand, maybe even weight of cardstock used. 

I really like how they turned out!

Thanks for doing my challenge!

~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
Here is my entry. I loved doing this fun and easy technique! Thanks for the challenge!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1604#top_display_media

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »
Very pretty entry, April!  I really like the stamp choice you used!  Left praise in the gallery!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
Here is the first one I've gotten finished.  I've got 2 other backgrounds, I just need to finish the cards.  And I have another card done that I need to post.

Merry Christmas
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »
Great card, Sarah! I really like it and thank you for participating in my challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Here's my tag: Eiffel tower tag

I had lots of fun with your challenge Heidi---creating the BG was like magic---so neat to see it appear!

I'm not sure if anyone else had this "problem" (it's only a problem depending on the look you want)---but I noticed when I did what the tutorial said, which was to add the paint and blend with the foam, that that made a very thin layer of paint---it did not look like their photo.  Maybe it was b/c I was using a makeup foam triangle and not cut 'n foam, but I instead pounced the foam and that really helped color the tag with the paint!  Then I hit with heat gun for a few second and then wiped off the paint with wet rag. 

Another thing was that I was taken back with my color scheme--at first I did not like it....everything dried duller than I remember coloring and picking out...but when I added the button brad (not sure why that mattered) and the shear purple ribbon, I really liked it!  Which I find so interesting b/c this color combo I usually do not do!  So another great thing I encountered while doing your challenge!

Thank you Heidi for hosting!
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »
The one thing I am interested in seeing with this challenge is how everyone handles the BG that is created with this technique.....I was thinking that only cut-outs could be used with the BG due to the embossing, but it is good to see others using different cut-outs that have stamping on them---I have to remember that next time.
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 06:25:59 AM »
Melissa, I love your tag, it is wonderful!  Thank you for sharing about pouncing. I think that is what i did with the paint too, but I did not recognize that the tutorial suggested otherwise.   Thank you so much for doing my challenge!
~~Heidi~~