Author Topic: Papercraft Trends at Michaels new for spring 2016  (Read 2643 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Papercraft Trends at Michaels new for spring 2016
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »
So I stopped into Michaels today, not a special trip, but because I had an errand next door.  They had lots of new stuff!  And big changes, at least for mine, so far as stamping.

1) Stamping aisle much smaller!  The area for wood block and clear stamps was noticeably smaller!  Far fewer stamps.  A lot still from Stampendous and their Recollections brand, a few Hero Arts.

2) They had a "Color Splash" and "Boho" display with Recollection items.  They had recollections branded watercolor crayons, watercolor resist tags and paper pads, LOTS of Ombre items including paper pads and inkpads (I bought an inkpad), and more surprising to me WOOD STAMPS!  I thought they were foam at first, but they are wood.

3) Lots of Pantone pink and blue items through out the store.

4) New Distress products.  They have kits of products for Distress Crayons, Inks, Mixed Media and more that contain not just the main product but also paper and stamps, etc.  These were priced $25.

5) Lots of items in the store all around that look like they are meant to be altered for home decor.

6) Still a lot of stuff across papercrafting and more meant for party decor.

I have a few pictures because it was a really big overhaul in my store, at least.    I will try to attach them.

Do these trends interest you?  Do you like the direction the big box craft stores are going?
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Papercraft Trends at Michaels new for spring 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
Shoot,I am having trouble with the photos.  But when I looked at them, I realized they had two of the new sets of distress ink minis and I probably would have bought one of them if I had actually seen it in the store...
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
I just went there yesterday for the first time in awhile and I too noticed that a lot of supplies were a lot smaller but I bought two wood stamps that were on sale and one clear stamp set. I didn't notice some of the products you talked about but I probably missed them.  When I see stuff going down like that it worries me that they are quite selling supplies but maybe they are just going in a different direction.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 01:34:07 AM »
I am so very sad.  I stopped by Michael’s this afternoon.

The long aisle of stamps is now diminished to 1/6th the size and has nothing new that caught my interest. All were either cling or transparent stamps.  The only wooden ones are the mini Recollections—no designs close to something I would buy.

Upon entering the store one whole shelving unit is filled with the Boho coloring books.  And the 2nd shelving unit ts filled with basic die cut shape s in every possible material.  The Color Splash maybe okay for a quick make-it for kiddo parties that will be quickly tossed-away but nothing I will choose to use on cards. It looks like Martha Stewart is being replaced for no more punches, glitter, or tools were displayed.

The bummer is they priced distress crayons kits at $34.00   Good grief I can pay for the product and shipping cheaper on-line!  They recently increased all our prices.  I consider this a major gouge for Alaska at the same time our state economy has tanked due to the low oil prices.

The lighting in our store is poor so perhaps that is why our blue and pink do not look like the pantone colors. 

Today it feels like I will not be returning to M’s any time soon.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:27:01 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
We went to SAMs club last weekend and I went to the scrabbooking store, Michaels, and Joan's.  This was in a suburb of the biggest city in our state......I was so disappointed.  The scrapbooking store didn't have the newer things I wanted, Michaels was all tore apart and in the middle of what appeared to be a reset, and Joan's had nothing new. 

I did get a few grombacker watercolor paintbrushes at Michaels that were 40% off but there were so many things that the brand name was replaced with their store brand that I was a little ticked off.  It's a good thing I like shopping online.  It used to be a treat to go to the big city and come home with neat new things, I guess those days are over.

Joan's has ticked me off for years with their terrible selection and only having one thing that is on sale and they just sold it 20 minutes ago.......I do buy sewing things but not much in paper crafting for years. 

Hobby lobby which is 30 miles away seems to be going to their own store brand too, slowly but surely the other name brands are disappearing in their store too.

Far North, $34. For Tim Holtz crayons is terrible, I got mine for $10 a package, which is still too much.  I think I got free shipping on preorders too. 

I am glad I am not the only one disappointed in the offerings from these stores but I am also sad.   
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »
Jan,  My area has a high cost of living, so $25 is probably the higher price that Michaels is charging for those kits if there is a range.  So $11 more is a lot!!!  Wow!

Sadie, my store was not completely set up yet, but they did have the labels out so you should know what should be in those slots.

Yes, it does look like Martha Stewart is not there anymore, what was left was deeply discounted. 

I stopped going to Joann's a while ago because my store is really terrible and always has been.  I don't have Hobby Lobby, but we do have AC Moore, I might go there next week to see if they have anything new.  They have been buying a lot of 6x6 older release paper pads and selling them for only $2.50 each. 

Although I was disappointed by the small stamping section at Michaels, I was impressed with how they were following the trends from CHA. 

I guess all of us might need to get used to buying things online. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
My two cents on Michael's is the same as everyone else. The stamping section has steadily gone down in the past few years. Even in Wisconsin ours had very little. I personally am not crazy about the Recollections brand. We have a Hobby Lobby about 20 miles away which is where I go for my watercolor class. They too are rearranging and making their stamping section smaller. And there was a huge amount of kid party stuff that I hadn't seen before.

I love to buy online. Almost always the price is better and I got to the point I purchased Amazon Prime. It has already paid for itself in free shipping and I get what I order in two days. Some items are not Prime eligible, and some times you pay more than other sites. You really have to shop.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
When I went back for the set of mini distress inks, I saw they also stocked the StazOn Midi ink pads.  I love the size of them and I know Daniel is a big fan too. 

Still haven't had a chance to see if AC Moore has new stuff or not. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
And PS, I heard that Joann stores (in the actual store) is supposed to be carrying the Hero Arts Kelly Purkey stamps and ink. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
I stopped in M's the other day--they have added more products and rearranged since my visit a couple weeks ago.  But still walked out without spending $$.  I did look at the inks--but didn't see any Stazon.  Thanks for the heads-up Heidi!