Author Topic: New Design Challenge - April - Symmetry  (Read 2261 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
New Design Challenge - April - Symmetry
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
The design challenge for April is a simple one.  This introduces the idea of balance with our projects by using a very formal way to get it, symmetry.

You can get symmetry by using a line in the center of your card, horizontal or vertical, or even the diagonal.  On either side of the line, it is like a mirror image.  Your project must be balanced because each side is roughly the same. 

Symmetry often creates a BOLD designs.  Often, a symmetrical design will have a centered main image (but not always) that does not follow the Rule of Thirds.  In this case, breaking the rule of thirds can work well for your design because it stands out.

Another reason that Symmetry is bold is because it does not occur often in nature and therefore it stands out.

Your challenge this month is to create a stamped project that is symmetrical. 

Resources:
This is for scrapbooking, but the ideas apply to card or any papercrafting project.
http://debbiehodge.com/2012/09/symmetrical-design-on-scrapbook-pages/

Yankee's recent card is a great example of Symmetry in a card project, and not at all boring!

Any questions, additions to the conversation about symmetry, whether you usually like it or don't like it, etc.  Please chime in!  Thanks and I hope you will try to play along :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: New Design Challenge - April - Symmetry
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »
I like the look of this. I saw the samples on the scrapbook pages and I see what this means. I hope to come up with something soon!

April

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
Interesting, I think this will be quite the challenge for me but I hope to give it a try :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
Thanks Heidi for another design challenge! I find they often bring new ideas and I hope this one will bring me a new appreciation for symmetry.  Just like the bold and graphic stamps that flooded our market a few years ago and continue to be popular...I generally find this design style too formal for the kind of cards I prefer for personal correspondence. I look forward to seeing some fresh ideas for using this design style.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Here is my entry for this challenge.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
Here is my entry that I combined with the Christmas All Year challenge.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2597#top_display_media

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
April, I love your card and how you were able to combo it.  I have been putting more of those peg stamp sets on my wish list, and your card certainly is a great use of them!  Thanks so much for participating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
Well this challenge was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I found very few cards posted on the internet that could be samples of symmetry. I found a lot more of my stencils have symmetry than my stamps.  I have had a few different possible pieces on my desk for days. I had hoped to at least stamp a sentiment but I didn't like how that broke up the complimentary design. I really like how the design elements of the butterfly almost camouflage it into the background. 

I have a few more pieces to put together...I hope to soon have the time to work with them. Thanks Heidi for the opportunity to use the stencil and die for the first time.

Here is the link to my gallery post.
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
Jan, I think your card is very pretty.  The butterfly is a great example of a symmetrical design and is very big and bold on your card.  Lovely, thanks for playing along with this!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
There is a little less than a week left in this challenge.  I will be posting a May challenge and that one will finish up this series.   

Looking forward to more projects posted for the Design Series.  :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Your symmetry challenge was lots of 'fun', Heidi!

I chose to combine my entry with my own arch challenge & (like your lovely arch) it took me both time & effort to create.

I had a tough time getting a decent pic, but I think you'll be able to see its symmetrical nature. I'll try to share a pic of all the stamps & PP I used, as well. But here's what I made.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
Very pretty project, Daniel! I left kudos in the gallery!  Thanks for playing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
Thanx Heidi. I made up a sheet to share what stamps & pattern paper I used for my piece. See it here.

I did lots of masking, fussy-cutting & such on this. When it came to the coloring, I went over the top  (as usual). I used markers to 'slash' in & then did the same with crayons. This kept changing the colors in ways I didn't expect. Most of them I like; some I'm just so-so about, but I found all the results interesting.

I'm looking forward to your next challenge, pal!
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
Daniel, thanks for sharing the components of your design!  I thought they were really neat to look at!

So, April is over (how did that happen?)!  You are welcome to continue sharing on each of the older Design Challenge threads.

I will be starting the last Design Challenge, hopefully by the end of this week.  I have several other things calling my attention this week, but wanted to post that this has not escaped my memory.
~~Heidi~~