Author Topic: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 8977 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
Nora and April, thank you both for participating.  I love your cards for entirely different reasons.  April, I love that you did one of yours with two colors and shared how that turned out.  I would have thought that it would have a similar appearance, but it is totally different.  Thanks for the tip about ink applicators too.

Daria

ETA:  Nora, don't forget to post a second background to qualify for getting your name in the hat!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:01:51 PM by djc »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
I made two backgrounds that I then made into two cards.  This was an interesting technique to try.  Thank you for hosting this challenge djc.  Here are the backgrounds.  And here are the cards.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:29 AM »
Sadie, your backgrounds and cards look wonderful.  I love the Crazy Cat card; I think he looks great against that background. 

Daria

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
I loved this challenge. It was challenging, LOL. My first try was on patterned paper and it didn't come out at all. My second two were on a shimmery type paper that I have no idea where I got! Those photos are here: Pillow backgrounds.

The card I made is here: Rose Pillow card

Thanks for hosting! I did eyeball these so some of the measurements are off but I don't think it's all that noticeable once you make it into a card.

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 06:16:04 PM »
Sorry, Daria, that I didn't post my first two attempts to your challenge till after I posted my original entry. 

Here are my samples:

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2744#top_display_media

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Kathy and Nora,  thank you for playing and posting. 

I made a couple of these today.  It has been so long since I made my earlier cards, I had completely lost the touch.  I think I found an applicator that works very well for me.  It's Tsukineko's elongated finger dauber--the long thin one.  My first line was way too dark, but after that mistake that ruined the whole piece, the other lines looked good. 

Daria 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »

Ah-h I finally finished 1 card for this challenge.  Indeed it took considerable time for me to achieve a good background...note I am not even saying perfect.-LoL  So here is my entry.
Thanks Daria for the experience!...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
I'm loving the entries for this challenge ... leaving comments in the gallery!

Thanks to the tips here, I didn't struggle too badly!  I did one background in distress ink and because Gina K used it, I wanted to try one in Memento Ink.  Both worked just fine. 

Daria, I stood in the store and looked at the elongated applicator ... but I had such good luck with my Imagine Crafts Ink Blusher (foam petal) that I didn't buy it.  I bought more foam!  Both were on sale at J's.

Thanks for the challenge.  I think I may have tried this technique before ... but it's been ages. 

Pillow tops
Baby card
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 01:16:20 AM »
Jan and Cindi, you both did great jobs with your backgrounds.  I made several today.  I think they came out well, but now I want them to be lighter.  You already know that I have trouble doing things lightly.  Sigh.  I have some old stamp pads, Shadow Inks.  I wonder if they have dried out.  I'll give them a try.

Jan, I'm planning to die cut the ones that turned out badly, but with some kind of shape so you won't see the pattern, just the colors.  I love the way you die-cut yours.

Just one more day.
Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
Today is the last day, and I am finally doing my own challenge.  The sample cards are ones I made a long time ago, and I definitely have lost the touch since then.  I have some rejects that I'm going to try to use for die-cuts.  One is so bad, it might not even serve that purpose.  I had used Tim Holtz's round applicator and I ended up with inked scallops instead of soft shading.

I liked the backgrounds posted here, and they seemed to have more spacing than I used before so I made my first backgrounds with 5/8" spacing.  I liked them and made several, but I wasn't thrilled with the shading.  I added more with an almost dry applicator to a couple of pieces and that helped.  Then I switched back to 1/2" spacing, and that seemed to work much better.  The way I was shading seemed to fit that spacing better, and the puffy look was more pronounced.

I used Distress Inks for the first backgrounds.  When I tried to pick one out for the background for my card, they were all too dark and dominated the card.  I had made them too dark.  I decided to use some old Memories Ink Pads that I had.  They were made for Hero Arts Shadow Stamps way back when so the colors are soft.  I was so happy to discover that the ink had not dried out.  The first thing that happened was that this ink dissolved my permanent black line on the plastic piece I was using.  To make a long story a bit shorter, I ended up pulling out my EK Success glass mat that has grid marks a quarter inch apart.  I used that and an unmarked piece of plastic to do the last two backgrounds with half-inch spacing.  I love the way these turned out.  I tried not to press so hard.  Instead I just went over the any areas that needed it.   

I found that if I inked the applicator and then tapped it along the edge of the plastic piece before applying it to the cardstock, I got better results.  I noticed that when I was almost done, I started getting heavier lines so I had to remind myself to slow down and take my time.
That helped a lot!

Here are the backgrounds.

Here is my card..
This is the first Christmas card I've made this year!

TFL.
Daria
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:14:05 PM by djc »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
I forgot to take a picture of my backgrounds before making the first card. 

The snowman is first background I made.  And there were a couple of spots that left dauber circles and didn't blend well.  I figured out that if I started on the piece of acetate, I didn't get the unblended dark spots.  I did that with the second background.  I added scribblers to the corners to look like buttons on the tufts. 

Reindeer

Snowman

Here is a picture of the 2 cards together.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 06:23:55 AM »
The dots were such a great idea to get an upholstered look!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Sarah, your cards are wonderful.  They both made me smile, and I loved all the details you put into them.  The dimensional dots are terrific idea.  I'm going to try that too.  Thank you for playing.

I'll put the names in a hat a little later this morning.  I can't do it right now.  Be back soon.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
OK.  Are you ready to find out who won my the Nighty Night Challenge? 

You are?

Good. 

However, first I want to thank everyone who participated.  I loved your cards and picked up some really good tips along the way.  Yesterday I posted a bunch that I made--thanks to the inspiration from all of you.

If you have any pieces that are headed for the trash, hold onto them.  I used my very worse one--truly awful--to die cut some sentiments.  They look great!!!  So if you have an intricate die, use it to die-cut the pillow-top backgrounds that you planned to toss.

OK.  Now I'm ready.  I've already written out your names and folded the papers into tiny little squares.  I put them into the straw hat (which lives next to the computer now) and tossed them around (my favorite part).  Heidi has a headache today so I'm not going to wake her up.  I got to do the honors this time. 

I kind of miss Heidi's bleary-eyed look as she blindly reaches in for a name after stirring them up again as if they needed that after all the bouncing around. 

OK.  I know you want to hear who won.

Am I right?

The prize goes to SWLady!  Congratulations, Kathy!  Please send me your snail mail address so I can send off your prize. 

Thank you to all the participants.
Daria