Author Topic: AIR16 Blend It! WINNER announced!  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
AIR16 Blend It! WINNER announced!
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
AIR16 Blend It!

In this challenge you will make a card with a blended background using at least 3 ink colors to create a halo of color behind your image.  The card will be posted in the gallery and a link will be provided on this tread with a description of what worked best for you.

“The halo of color” is my term to describe the difference between your card having a fully inked background vs blending ink closer to the image leaving white space for a CAS look.

Tips- distress inks are easiest to blend; Kristina talks about using inks from SSS, Hero Arts and Wplus9 in the video below.

I find using the round blending tool is much easier than the rectangle one.  Inking the tool well and then tapping off the top layer of ink on a scrap gives me the most even blending.  You will achieve different results with different bands and weight of paper.

Dimension can be added to a blended background with water–ghosting with water on a stamp or stencil, dabbing water on with a textured paper towel, water droplets and more.

This challenge can be combined with 1 other.

A RAK will be randomly selected for 1 player who posts a card in the gallery for AIR 16 Blend It!

Please speak up if you encounter any issues with blending.

Resource videos with blended distress ink backgrounds:
Kelly for Wplus9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKGlHX2OwA
Kelly makes a one layer card and demonstrates how to create masks to protect the stamped critter images. She blends wilted violet, picked raspberry and mustard seed distress inks and then stencils on top. The blended ink background demo ends at 4:55 (the rest of the video is copic coloring).     

Laura Bassen  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNuHqB0L_yE
Laura makes a beautiful blended background for a festive music die cut and Christmas sentiment stamp.  Distress inks used: Festive Berries & mustard seed are blended together to create a 3rd orange color in the center.

Julie Ebersole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVu3gIt4bd8
Julie uses a circle die to create a window to layer her blended background under her focal image.
She uses squeezed lemonade, mustard seed and ripe persimmons distress inks.

Dawn Woleslagle, Wplus9   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0km8seyqNI
Dawn makes a CAS background for her stamped and copic colored die cut critters. The demo of the distress ink background begins at 9:00.  Distress inks used: abandon coral, peacock feathers and scattered straw

Kristina Warner demonstrates the use of SSS ink beginning at 4:08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmBHd_8Cns

If it is hot where you live today you may think of a cool colorful summer icy drinks to compliment this challenge…Hope you enjoy the challenge!  ....Jan
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:45:35 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: AIR16 Blend It!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
This is a great challenge, I know I will need to look at the resources you provided to get some tips on how to blend the three + colors. 

Thanks so much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
Well, Jan.  Guess how I spent my morning.  lol.  Thank you so much for the videos.  I enjoyed them.  I love ink blending, but I don't think I have ever done it starting in the center of the card.  I appreciate the tips offered in the videos. 

Thank you for the challenge.
Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
I finished my card for this challenge.  Once I switched from the usual Tim Holtz Applicators that I normally use to the Judikins Dusters, it worked much better for me.  The dusters don't leave darker areas.  If you are not familiar with the dusters, they look like the old-fashioned brushes our grandfathers (great-grandfathers for some of you) used to lather up their faces before shaving. 

I did the background first thinking I could use water to remove some of the ink from the tiny flowers.  That didn't work so I used a Signo Uniball white gel pen on them.  If I do this again, I think I will stamp and emboss first, mask the flowers with masking fluid, and then add the background inks. 

Here's my card.  Thank you for the challenge.

Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:15 PM »
The results on your card Daria make a real beauty!  Thanks for sharing your tips and playing!

I agree the circle blending tool still offer some challenges.  I appreciate the one video tip about starting the inking behind the image when possible (as in when the image is a separate layer).  One thing I haven't heard discussed is holding the blending tool between the 2 and 3rd fingers and wrapping the other fingers around the base to achieve a level hold and application of the ink.  For me this took considerable practice to get comfortable with but the it certainly has helped me.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
Worked on this for hours, gave up.
  Rewatched videos and got it on the first try.
You need a very light hand.
It is in the gallery.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Yankee, you have the magic touch.  I absolutely love your card, and the background is just perfect.
Yankee's Card

Jan, thanks for that tip.  I'll have to try it out.  I like the coverage that you get with the ink blending tool better than what you get with the dusters--smoother coverage and deeper colors.  I was thinking that if I stamped and masked the image, then I could use that spot for starting place for the inking.  lol. 

Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »
I made two cards using what I think is this technique.  I only used two colors of the same family, I hope that counts.  The yellow card.  The blue card.  It is much easier to get a nice blend using watercolor paper instead of card stock.  I also inked around the edges of the card bases so they would match the colors in the front panel.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Thank you Daria, Sadie and Yankee for already working on this challenge.  It is so fun to see your amazing results in the gallery!  I read on your descriptions that watercolor paper works best for blending.  Two of the videos specifically recommend the Ranger Watercolor Paper.   If anyone  tries both it would be nice to hear if you experience a difference.

Blending 3 ink colors to create your halo effect are required for this challenge.  This requirement is so everyone will experience blending 3 colors next to one another. This may include a card as Kim made in the in the first video with 3 base colors and stenciling on top.
Once you make at least 1 card with 3 halo ink colors, additional cards will count as additional entries into my random drawing. This may include ones with stenciled ink on top of a single color or any other creative play you choose to do with a halo background.
Have fun creating!...Jan

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »
I tried this so many times and different papers, I don't remember what paper was the winner.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Here is my entry. I used watercolor paper and blended 3 colors of Distress inks using my round sponge tool. I use my tool to blend a lot, so I have learned to go light handed when blending. I start light and then build more on top to make the color more intense if I want that look. After blending I used a Tim Holtz Splatter stencil over top. I used a baby wipe to wipe through the stencil to take off color on the background. This left a light impression. Thanks for the fun challenge! :smile:

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2722#top_display_media

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »
Thanks April for sharing your experience and your awesome card!

Yankee-I understand not remembering which product works best...I have to keep a notepad with such details ::)

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »
Thanks, Jan, for your fun challenge.  I am not all that satisfied with my entry here, but here it is.  I find the old Toybox brushes works best for me with the blending technique. 

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2727#top_display_media

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
Thank you Daria, Sadie and Yankee for already working on this challenge.  It is so fun to see your amazing results in the gallery!  I read on your descriptions that watercolor paper works best for blending.  Two of the videos specifically recommend the Ranger Watercolor Paper.   If anyone  tries both it would be nice to hear if you experience a difference.

Blending 3 ink colors to create your halo effect are required for this challenge.  This requirement is so everyone will experience blending 3 colors next to one another. This may include a card as Kim made in the in the first video with 3 base colors and stenciling on top.
Once you make at least 1 card with 3 halo ink colors, additional cards will count as additional entries into my random drawing. This may include ones with stenciled ink on top of a single color or any other creative play you choose to do with a halo background.
Have fun creating!...Jan

Here you go!  Four colors blended in the middle of the panel........
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
Sadie thanks for another terrific blended and 1 layer card too!  That's makes 3 entries into the random drawing!

Also Nora and April thanks for sharing your blending skills in the gallery!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:45:05 AM by Far North »