Author Topic: New dies that are stuck together.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
New dies that are stuck together.
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
When you get a new die and they are all connected, I can't figure out how to snip the pieces of metal.  My craft scissors don't work and I am worried I am going to bend the die.  What tool do you use?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:34:26 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: New dies that are stuck together.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
I generally use wire cutters to cut dies apart. It makes for a quick and easy cut with no problems with the metal bending.

I also have heavy duty scissors that I am sure would work but they are bulky and I always feel they may be harder to maneuver in tight location.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
Sorry I'm late responding ...

I do the same, I use wire snips.  I think I got mine in the floral department for cutting floral wire. 
I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Crafts Designs sells something specifically for dies, if you want to look in to that.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 07:44:01 PM »
I just had this problem during our fest, I usually use wire snips but I couldn't find them for the life of me so I ended up using an old pair of scissors, not good for them I know but I didn't have any patience

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:19 PM »
I had to get DH to get them unattached with some scissors.  I really still dislike that you need a special tool to do it.  Our wire snips are really huge and don't fit in the small spaces.

I will probably try to purchase in the future from brands that already have them snipped for me.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
Heidi the ones I use are quite small, I think they are meant to be for jewelry making, maybe you can get a pair cheap with a coupon from one of the craft stores

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »
Heidi the ones I use are quite small, I think they are meant to be for jewelry making, maybe you can get a pair cheap with a coupon from one of the craft stores

I will take a look in that section of the store.  Thanks.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
Depending on how they are attached, I've actually snapped them apart.  I then use my wire cutters to trim the pieces down.  I haven't had any problems with bending the die.  But sometimes they are attached together in such a compact cluster that it is hard to get them to break apart. 

The wire cutters I usually use are the pair I bought for working with florals.  But I also have ones for jewelry making, which are smaller and should fit in the tight spaces.
Sarah