Author Topic: Alcohol Ink Challenge Series  (Read 28935 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Alcohol Ink Challenge Series
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »
Welcome to the  Alcohol Ink Challenge Series Part 1

This is 3 week series of technique challenges to explore a broad range of using alcohol inks.  I hope this series will help all of us to extend our skills beyond what we have previously created with alcohol inks.

I plan to begin each challenge week on Friday mornings- March 13, 20, 27 and will close ALL challenges Sunday night March 29 at 11:59 pm your local time.  After the close of the challenges I will select 4 random winners from all player who completed a weekly challenges (1 entry per challenge) and 1 player who has complete at least one challenge for each of the weekly during series.
 Note:  Each player will need to properly identify their entries in the gallery.  Sadie has created a special album for our Alcohol Ink Challenges which can be found as the 2nd listing in the challenge section (thanks so much Sadie!). Edited-3/14/15 For each new challenge I will post key words to be copied and pasted twice into your gallery upload post as the title and as the keywords. You may add additional keywords if you wish.

If you do not have all the suggested supplies please adapt as best you can.  No need to ask for permission before starting but please describe alternative you used in your gallery post so we will know how you how your created your work. Please use this site for discussions so we can all learn from one another and for sharing links to your gallery posts. Time to have some inky fun…

Week 1-Create backgrounds with techniques using blending tool Project pieces this week should be a standard A2 4.25 x 5.5” size but projects do not need to be completed  beyond instructions at this time.   

Challenge 1:  Create a classic agate background.[/b] Make 1.  (Keywords to paste in gallery post: Alcohol Inks 1; Agate background)
Directions: Add a few drops of ink into felt on blending tool.  Alcohol ink bottles are designed so they may be left uncapped until finished with this background.  Shake mixative color and add 1 small drop to inked felt.  Pounce onto glossy paper and turn tool as desired.  Add blending fluid/solution (BF) and more ink if desired onto inked felt.  Pounce onto background.  Add more layers of ink and blending solution if desired.  Complete projects with stamped or heat embossed image(s).  Note: Archival ink should be heat set with a heat gun for a few seconds.

Resource: Thinking Ink 1 of 2 videos –Basic agate background is not specifically identified but that is what Jennifer sharesYou Tube video here

Challenge 2: Explore the uses of blending fluid on agate backgrounds-make 2 different backgrounds   (Keywords: Alcohol inks 2; Blending solution)
Directions: Depending how much BF you apply it will blend ink colors and mixative or lighten colors or remove them.  For this challenge you will make at least 2 examples- 1 of which you will lightening an area of your background and perhaps even adding a brighter color to highlight a part of your stamped image which you will add over this area with archival or Stazon ink.
Part 2- remove most of the ink from an area of the background to provide a soft  “frame-like” area for your stamped image. Stamp and share in the gallery.

Challenge3 Move the blending tool  Make 2 different backgrounds  (Keywords: Alcohol inks 3; Bending tool)
1. Move your blending tool with a to and fro slide, twirl, bounce or any dance step of your choice to achieve backgrounds with striped, ombre, or swirled, or whatever strikes your fancy as long as your vehicle to move the ink is your blending tool.  Jennifer McGuire shows some possibilities here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imn9Qu52usQ

Or [/b]2.cut your felt in different shapes as Patti Behan does in this video where she-creates giraffe print with AI.   PS…hmm wonder what small felt shapes can be die cut?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3lX9zBYH1U

Updates to video techniques and alcohol ink information:
When you hear about 28 colors of Alcohol Inks the video is dated.  There are now 48 colors and 4 mixatives. The first 42 colors are the colors are categorized as earthtones, brights or lights and each bottle is labeled as such.  The 6 most recent colors are considered vibrant colors.  The Conservatory set includes Honeycomb, Botanical, Poppyfield  and the Mariner set includes Indigo, Mermaid, Teakwood.

This basic AI background technique was originally called Polished Stone…in fact a one point different patina recipes were shared. Now it is called Agate

Suggestions for craft mat clean-up have been changed to less expensive products- rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer.

Safety Notes:  1. Ranger does not recommend using Adirondack Alcohol Inks, Metallic Mixatives, Snow Cap Mixative or Alcohol Ink Blending Solution in spray bottles as these contents contain alcohol and should not be airborne.
2. Alcohol inks are flammable therefore is it not recommended  to save felt ink pad not be saved after use.

Have fun!...Jan

Welcome to Week 2 of the Alcohol Ink Challenge Series!

Players may join the challenge fun at any time during this series.

Thanks to all who started playing last week including: howdyheidi, yellowcherrios, Carefree Sadie, Canadian, eh, Stampwilly, UtahAnn, Connie Crafter and SW Lady :smile:

Hold on to your hats for we are about to see the magic of Alcohol Inks!

This week's challenges are selected to share a broad range of techniques.  I hope you find several that you will enjoy. I encourage you to try 1 technique in each challenge.  Most of the challenges can be done on glossy cardstock-except of the Blowing ink with a straw and the plastic wrap technique which are far more successful on acetate or plastic packaging material.

Challenge 4  Other ways of moving alcohol inks                            Keywords: Alcohol inks 4; Moving AI
    A.  Monoprinting-Sara Naumann shows how to control the mess when sliding cardstock over alcohol inks.

Video on You Tube-click here.

B.  Blowing Inks with a straw-Watch Sara’s technique of using a straw moving quickly before the ink dries. Acetate is a better surface for this challenge than glossy cardstock in that it helps the AI to be wet longer. Tip-If one aims the straw straight down on the center of a new ink drop it dries almost instantly. Try moving the straw to the edges.

C.  Canned Air Technique-similar to above but uses canned air as used for cleaning a computer.  This picture tutorial will show a different way to use this technique.
Video on You Tube-click here

Challenge 5 Techniques directly on glossy paper      Keywords: Alcohol inks 5; direct to GP

A.   Controlled inking for collage stamps-Virginia Lu demonstrates her loose and artsy technique

B.   Coloring with a white pens- This is the link to the written description with a photo

C.   Mixative background with Christmas evergreen die cuts. Feel free to use the techniques presented in this picture tutorial for any type card you desire.

Here Here is the link..

Challenge 6  Using familiar techniques adapted to use with alcohol inks
  Keywords: Alcohol inks 6; Adapted techniques

A.   Clear heat embossing resist Here is a picture tutorial

B.  Heat embossing

C.  Saran Wrap- Here is the link to the photo tutorial. 

I have always enjoyed using this technique with distress inks but felt the short drying time for AI would eliminate its use. So I tried this out before including it as a part of this challenge. Knowing that the alcohol ink bottles are designed with the narrow nozzle tip without the alcohol escaping I uncapped the 3 colors I chose to use. Everything was ready to  quickly shake on the color and to cover with the wrinkle plastic wrap. Let dry several hours. Nice results once laid on white cardstock. So if you use an acetate surface and work quickly you can indeed use this technique. Here is the link to the photo tutorial.
Please do not waste your time trying the suggested method of placing BF on plastic wrap and covering a dry AI background on cardstock. My result was a mess of BF dried puddles on my craft sheet and no paper effects resulted.

Looking forward to seeing the results for the challenges in the gallery!  Please remember to copy and paste the keywords provided for each challenge into the title and keyword areas of you gallery post. Unfortunately if one typo is made your picture will not show in a gallery search.

Have fun!...Jan

[size=1Welcome to Week 3 of the Alcohol Ink Challenge Series!

This is our final week of the alcohol ink challenges.  Many of the techniques you learned these past 2 weeks are transferable to use on other non-porous materials-acetate, metal, glass, vellum.  This week we will explore coloring other surfaces.

Challenges this week:  Correction note:  ALL challenges will close Saturday night April 4 at 11:59 pm your local time.

Challenges 7:Color it with AI             Keywords: Alcohol inks 7; color with AI
Find something non-porous in your house that could use a color-lift.  It could be anything from a light switch cover or a recycled jar or whatever you please.  Draw on what you have learned these last 2 weeks for coloring with alcohol ink or use the inspiration from additional videos below. Have fun playing and remember if you are unhappy with the final result you may wipe it clean with BF or rubbing alcohol and start again. 

Challenge 8: Anything goes   Keywords Alcohol inks 8; anything goes
Did you run out of time to try a technique or want to redo one? That is exactly the purpose of this challenge. Only requirements are to begin a totally new project, use some alcohol inks and to finish the project (not just samples of coloring with a new technique for this challenge).   

Wrap-up of Series
I hope everyone had as much fun as I did playing with alcohol inks. While the challenges offered a broad range of learning activities there still are large areas we haven’t touched particularly painting with alcohol inks and work with metal and coloring it that can be explored another time. I so-o appreciate everyone sharing their trials and experiments.  I always learn so much from seeing other possibilities.

This series will remain posted so everyone can use the posted resources.  Please know after the challenges close I will remove the embedded videos and will provide a linked connection as Sadie has suggested.

After finishing this week's challenges I have a brief poll at the end of this thread so we can share some highlights of our experiences with AI.  Please copy-paste and at the end of this thread.
Thanks so much for playing!...Jan

Additional resources:
Alcohol Ink Resist Technique-with Sarah’s version of this technique you will need packing tape and archival ink
Video on YOU Tube-click here.

Clear products-glass, acetate and plastics  In week 5 part 2 of Thinking Inking Jennifer McGuire shows special ways of using alcohol inks.
Video on You Tube click here.

Embellishments- In week 5 part 3 Jennifer shares ways to color rub-ons, buttons, paper flowers, pearls, gemstones with alcohol inks.
Video on You Tube click here.

Glass jar and metal embellishments made out of tin can.  In this picture tutorial,Sugar crackle glass votive, details are provided for layer products on a jar.  This could for making a simpler version with alcohol inks.

White Plastic Eggs-Tim Holtz just posted this short video to demonstrate coloring white plastic eggs. http://timholtz.com/alcohol-ink-eggs/
Vellum-Sue McRae explains the difference in types of vellum and the coloring of it with alcohol inks.
Video on You Tube-click here

Poll:

What was the technique you enjoy the most?
What technique do you see yourself using on cards in the future?
What type of surface do you think you will ink in addition to glossy cardstock?
Please add any other comments you wish.

Thank you ever so much for playing in this series! 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:22:02 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Now Open--Alcohol Ink Challenge Series
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Wow!  this is going to be a great learning experience. I will need to read this carefully and watch the videos before I get started. 

PS, I like how the videos are loaded within the messages now in our forum.  That is really helpful to me, especially on the ipad.

Thanks so much for organizing these challenges!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
Thanks Heidi...I want this to be a cross between our previous "studies" and challenges where we would all learn new skills.  I did tons of research looking across the internet for new methods of using these supplies.

I too am excited to try some new things.  I decided I wanted to make a color chart to better organize my inks for the challenges.  So the other night I had all my inks out as I worked on dabbing color onto Ranger's downloadable color chart. In a flash purple twilight slipped out my hands down my white cabinet and across the hardwood floor. I never made such a crafting mess! I had protection on my countertop and was using my large craft mat so that was safe.  But my heart sank when I tried to swipe the ink running down one of cabinet drawer...it spread everywhere. Lots of paper towels and felt to try blending solution, rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer and about 45 minutes later all is back to normal without any evidence of the accident.  I was totally afraid the rubbing alcohol and blending solution would take off the finish but the hand sanitizer did not achieve good results. I couldn't see a difference between blending solution and rubbing alcohol.  So I went with the later and I have no issues with the cabinet paint. The floor was much harder to clean for the ink did not want to release from the polyurethane. Finally some serious scrubbing with rubbing alcohol on a nylon scrubby sponge achieved great results.  I share my story so others can learn from my experience.  And to point out that I was thankful that I had both the blending solution on hand.  So you will see that I personally changed up the name "blending solution" in the challenges to blending fluid since I like the acronym BF (best friend) better than the alternative  :smile:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:17:34 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
lol, Jan--yes BF is better than the alternative--smart thinking!

I am so excited for this series!!  I get my inks on Monday!!!   :D  I decided that I wanted a different color kit to begin my AIs than the one I bought at Micheals, thus I took the other one back (despite I know I might be buying it later....lol).   But this gives me time to watch and read everything w/o having the materials to tempt me in my craft room. 

I so appreciate all the work, research, and organization you have done with this challenge--it looks great Jan!  Well done!   O0   :smitten:
~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks for all the work you put in this series! I love working with alcohol inks and can't wait to get started.

Stampwilly :smile:

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
Thanks Melissa!... And I hope you really like the colors once you get them!  I agree it would been a big temptation to have the others available to be broken open LOL!

I hope folks speak up if there are any issues with the embedded videos. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
When we are making projects, do we need to use our AI panel as a background, or may we die cut it or do whatever we want with it on the project?

Also, I am glad you went with BF also!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »
Good question Heidi about the background panels.  Since this first week is all about creating great backgrounds I would like to see photos of the whole panels in the gallery so we can see the different effects folks achieve.  Then if you want to go on to make cards or whatever project you can use them as you like...and please share the final look in the gallery too.

Heidi, I think you asked on another post about saving/reusing used ink felt.  While doing research I came across a statement from Ranger that says they do not recommend that since they are flammable...so I am now following that warning.

Thanks for asking!...Jan

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Yippy April, glad you will be joining the fun! Look forward to you sharing lots of your great experience too!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
This is going to be fun!  Thanks for putting this challenge together Jan.  I love the embedded videos too.  A big thank you for updating the info in the videos ... I was wondering if agate = polished stone until I read your notes.   ;D It sounds like blending fluid really is your best friend.  So glad you were able to clean up your spill.  It must have caused a moment of panic!

Cutting up the felt, as in the giraffe sample, was new to me.  I'll have to give that a try!

Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
I did challenge 1.  Let me know if I titled it correctly and so on. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1248&message_id=ff335dd05867a8075ccfa1e88d378fb4&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Right now, my backgrounds tend to be dark.  I am not sure how to get a lighter look with the inks I have.  I will have to keep trying. 

ETA: Oh no!  I think I was supposed to take a photo of my project before I made it into the card.  Let me go back and read more carefully.

ETA2: Okay, I think I did okay for part one, but let me know if I didn't!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:48:10 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
Heidi did you paste the words in as Key Words near the bottom of the upload form?  I am trying to have players copy and paste the words so we can search by challenge number and a couple words to describe the technique. The words need to be the same so we can capture everyone's entry-I need to reread Sadie's note to me.  Since we are posting under Challenges and have a separate album file for Alcohol Inks Challenges I didn't know we would have any other space to enter into the top line....gotta go learn more of how to do this.

I really like your card!  Embossing in white or a bright gold might be more contrast with your darker background.  The other challenges this week may give you additional thoughts about how to use your colors for a lighter look.  Another possibility is to make some ATC size backgrounds changing up amounts of each color and the blending fluid and see if you get a color combo you like better and then test it with stamped inks and embossing. You might want to keep notes so you can repeat the ones you like best. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:11:22 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
Oh, I'm so excited Jan O0 :D :laugh:
I can't wait to learn more about AI's. Thanks for linking the videos. I watched them a long time ago but it will be a good refresher.

Does anyone have any of the light colors? Most of mine are the brights and earth tones. I wonder how the lights would mix with the other colors?

Can't wait to work on this.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
Wow, Heidi, you are fast.  And you card is lovely.

Jan - thanks for all the thought and research you put in to this challenge series.  I'm really looking forward to playing along.

LeighAnn - I have some of the light colors.  And I used some of them when I created the background pieces I included in October's KIAE 

I like the light colors. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
Yes, I did put the code words in the keyword section.  I also put them in the title because I wasn't sure where! 
~~Heidi~~