Author Topic: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- JULY -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5019 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
OLDIES CHALLENGE -- JULY -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Can you believe it is time for another OLDIES challenge? Where did June go? This is a technique I know many of us will remember -- it is shadow stamping. Boy I have not done this technique in ages! Here is a link on how to shadow stamp.   

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/06/oldies-technique-10-shadow-stamping.html

Please do this technique on any project. Upload your project to the gallery and link it here so that we can see it. Please tell us about your project and anything you want to say about the process.

I hope you have fun playing! Can't wait to see what you make. As always there will be an RAK for a randomly chosen winner!

Stampwilly ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:00:21 AM by stampwilly »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- JULY
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:57:26 PM »
This one looks like a fun one! I'm going to look through me stamps and find some tha would work well with this technique! I love your sample card on your blog. I can't remember my password for Google to leave a comment! Thanks for hosting April!
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
Yes April, this does take me way back to the mid ‘80s!  That was last century and definitely way before the Internet!  My first shadow stamp was cut from red rubber gasket that plumbers use.  The friend who taught me told me to start by creating a light mottled center of color and work to a darker edge to give a light shadow of color to the stamped image.  Solid colored papers were very limited at that time and there were many detailed small stamps that were difficult to color so this was to way to give a different look to coloring the image.  I never knew how other folks worked with this same technique.

But now there are lot of new products on the market and variations of this basic technique have taken on many different looks over the years. The more current version that I like is to make a shadow stamp by die cutting craft foam and inking it create a background for stamping the image.       

Thanks April for hosting another oldie challenge!  Great fun to stretch the memory “back to the day”! Here a link to my oldie traditional card.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:07:56 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »
How fun. I like the shadow stamp that you are using in your tutorial.  Fantastic! I need to take a look at my stamps and see what I can come up with! Thank you for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
I sure enjoyed doing this challenge!  Thank you, April. 

My Submission:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1754#top_display_media

Nora S

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
Time to search my stamps again.  Hummmmmmm  Shadow stamp, will see what I find before I commit to playing. Your card is so beautiful.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »
Although I could have winged it with another stamp, I picked up a shadow stamp in a clearance bin at AC Moore. I am looking forward to all the things I can do with it! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
Except for a small one, I couldn't find any solid shadow stamps in my stash! I'm thing I could take one of my larger clear stamps and ink up the other side. I'm gonna try one and see if it works.
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
Nora, your card is so pretty! I like the texture look. Thanks for doing the challenge! ;D

LeighAnn, that sounds like a plan. If that does not work well, you might can try a large solid stamp like a flower or butterfly even. Just anything to make a solid shadow behind your stamping.

Looking forward in seeing other entries! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
I have looked thru my stamps and have come up with maybe a stamp.  However I did quite  bit of looking on Pinterest and there seem to be variations of this techniques.  I think as I collected stamps and then purge some, most of what I purged were the shadow type stamps.  Not I wish I still had them, but am going to work with what I have.  When I get it uploaded, it may not be what applies to this challenge. 

I have a couple of acrylic stamps that might work, but not sure what to add to them. 

You all have fun now - can't wait to see what is uploaded.

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1759&message_id=58441e7d866350a675398bcd8a34ef43&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

This is my card that I made for this challenge and it was a challenge for me.  More about how I did the card on my upload.

Thank you so much for this challenge and the way that you made me stretch and I found the feather stamp in my collection.

Again thanks.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
I just love the texture on your card, Nora! I'm gonna have to try that.

I finished 2 for the challenge. I'm happy to report that I was able to use the opposite side of an acrylic stamp and it worked. I experimented with a few different ones and the ones that worked best were the real photo polymer stamps. I also got best inking results with chalk and pigment inks. I did have to stamp one of my backgrounds twice to get good solid coverage. So look through your stamps and try it out if you don't have any shadow stamps! I still need to take pics and I will upload them tonight.
LeighAnn

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
Ann, I just saw your card and I love it. Clean and simple is a hard look to achieve and you nailed it!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
I stamped and stamped over the last couple days, and I was not really happy with anything until I started using pigment inks.  I started out using some of my Hero Arts Shadow inks (because of the name of the technique) but I really preferred the not-as-full-coverage of pigment inks.   This is a fun technique with many possibilities! 

I have two cards completed using a "shadow" stamp, but I do hope to try this other stamp I thought of to see how it works out!  Thanks for hosting, Stampwilly!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1761#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1760#top_display_media

~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
This is the only one of my try-outs where I used the shadow ink and chalk ink that I kept to make into a card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1764&message_id=7723961d76e0e4a82efda94302c1bb65&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock
~~Heidi~~